* Greetings all! The Red Masque "Mythalogue" CD/Art CD "On Mythalogue, they take a page from Red-era King Crimson and another from those that rode the more riff-centric faultlines of the 90's avant prog revival (Present, Happy Family, Thinking Plague, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum) and fire the shredded results out of confetti cannons. This crew have been hoisted on the shoulders of some of Rock In Oppostion's most formidable figures, from their previous studio affair gaining release on Chris Cutler's ReR USA imprint to Mythalogue being mixed by 5uu's/Science Group member and avant prog magi Bob Drake." Stream the entire album on our 'Beta-beat Cloud' and then go buy it!
* This Week's Free Download: "Virtual Insight" by Earthmokey from 'Alms of Morpheus'. 2xCD/Download Free Download!
* Available late May, we will have three new tape editions released as editions of 99 numbered copies with vinyl coming in late 2013. Available from the label or direct from the LPD mail order site. On a personal note, I highly recommend checking out The Silverman's "Finisterre" as it is an absolute must have. It is so far my personal favorite album of the year and judging by reviews, I am not the only one. All of these albums are available on CDR from the LPDots mailorder. I recommend all three!
Edward Ka-Spel "Fire Island" tape
Legendary Pink Dots "Taos Hum" tape
The Silverman "Finisterre" tape
* A new release is available for pre order and to be issued June 6, 2013: Armchair Migraine Journey "Transmit Mutation Drone" CD and super limited 2xCD art edition of 50 numbered and signed copies. Part one features Ty Hodson on drums and bowed cymbals and Pascal Godjikian (La STPO) on vocals/lyrics. Part two is another fine imaginary soundtrack for a doomed space flight.
* New in the mail order shop. A limited tape release from Aidan Baker "Souvenirs Of The Eternal Present", The Long Dead Sevens "Mothers Song" DVD release of the song from the album "The White Waltz and other Stories". Preview the trailer below on YouTube, Eldrig "Everlasting War Divinity" - killer black metal LP, Daniel Menche/Joe Preston "Cerberic Doxology" CD/DVD release. Plenty of sound samples to preview the new goodies.
* Earthmonkey theater! Psychedelic set and Hypnotic sounds and music created by PeAt BoG/EARTHMONKEY Please come and see this a unique and stunning production at the Maskers Theatre in Shirley, Southampton UK on 20-25th May. .......Lily Ross is in prison for killing her Mother. How could she have committed such a crime? and why? This powerful and mesmerizing play will draw you into Lily's tangled world and challenge you to decide: Would you have done the same? Psychedelic set and Hypnotic sounds and music created by PeAt BoG/EARTHMONKEY Tickets £8 available at TicketSource (no booking fee) www.ticketsource.co.uk/event/35139 Note that there are only 35 seats available per performance.
* We have our first Art/Fact release now available in an on going series showcasing visual artists from arond the world. Five paintings by Ekul B. in a series called "Fumage". You can see all the pieces here: Fumage
* Still hot off the press: CD, LP, Tape and Shirts for Edward Ka-Spel "One Last Pose Before the Ruin".
all best, chris
* More updates, confusion, tidbits & nonsense over at News section.
|3||Sirens and Snakes|
|4||The Dark Salt Sea|
|8||The Song for Icarus|
|9||The Ruins of the Palace of Minos|
|10||Polyphemus (Live - bonus)|
|11||The Hallowed (Bonus)|
Available in a custom made gatefold case and 8 panel poster. Edition of 50 numbered and signed copies with each having an original painting by band vocalist Lynnette Shelley. With the first studio outing in five years from Philly's native avant prog wunderkind, The Red Masque let loose a clarion call of avant prog gravitas to all comers here. Scions to a subterranean continuum of stormy entanglements, the tendrils that entwine on these tenebrous tunes snake out from some very auspicious pods. On Mythalogue, they take a page from Red-era King Crimson and another from those that rode the more riff-centric faultlines of the 90's avant prog revival Present, Happy Family, Thinking Plague, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum) and fire the shredded results out of confetti cannons. Riffs crunch out fevered labyrinths, time signatures create airborne origami and vocalist Lynnette Shelley's supple, full-throated attack seals it with a kiss. This crew have been hoisted on the shoulders of some of Rock In Oppostion's most formidable figures, from their previous studio affair gaining release on Chris Cutler's ReR USA imprint to Mythalogue being mixed by 5uu's/Science Group member and avant prog magi Bob Drake. Little wonder, as the interzone of turbulent energies and high wire conniptions on hand here make plain The Red Masque's heir apparent status to this trajectory.
Standard first press in a custom made gatefold case and 8 panel poster.
|2||Oscar's Last Day|
Ed. of 99 numbered copies available late May 2013. Available from the label or the LPD mailorder. Despite the ominous warnings on the radio, a lonely boat sails away from a lonelier island with the good captain Silverman at the helm. Aliens here to study mankind had taken control of the airwaves; spread confusion with fake weather reports; induced brainwashing with warped forms of Celtic music; inserted subliminal mantras like "Better Warped Than Corrupted" into all political and financial broadcasting;as well as openly plotting revolution - or was that resolution? or evolution? or perhaps pollution? But this was of no concern for Silverman as he changed course by the north star, heading out towards Andromeda.
|1||A Step too Far|
|3||Entrance & Illumination|
|4||One Big Happy Family|
|5||The Sad Society|
|6||Surfing the Volcano|
Ed. of 99 numbered copies available late May 2013. Available from the label or the LPD mailorder. All new album by Edward of minimal electro-acoustic inspired songs." It is quite hard to imagine anyone who is a fan of his work being disappointed by this effort though: it may not be especially revelatory, complex, or ambitious, but it is consistently strong and somewhat unusual (and is almost certainly the leading candidate for "best album ever made on vacation in a beach community in the dead of winter")." Brainwashed
|2||Ash & Sand|
|3||Divine Resignation Part 3|
|4||No Time for Change|
Ed. of 99 numbered copies available late May 2013. Available from the label or the LPD mailorder. Just when you thought you were experiencing a genuine value moment. Just when when you thought you were truly enjoying the silence..... Do you hear that..........SOUND???!!! Will the day come when that's ALL you will hear.....Turn on, tune in.....
|1||Transmit Mutation Drone One|
|2||Transmit Mutation Drone Two|
Edition of 200 numbered and signed copies in a custom made gatefold CD case. Part one features Ty Hodson on drums and bowed cymbals and Pascal Godjikian (La STPO) on vocals/lyrics. Available late May. 2013. "Transmit. Mutation. Drone. One: Transmigration: done. Your call could not be completed. We will attempt reconnection. Transmutation of genetic code will soon be online again. Our agents are working to fulfill your orders. You may continue transmitting, though be warned: your signal may be transformed beyond recognition. You may experience dizziness and disorientation as you acclimate to the new medium. Armchair Migraine Journey can not be held responsible for lost luggage, missed connections or broken synapses. Hurry up now! The signal flows at a breakneck pace. Chop chop! Splice Splice! Don't be afraid of the space between the genomes. The eyes in the back of our heads will illuminate the passage. Nuclei erupted and chromosomes corrupted, it's a buzzsawed jigsaw of something nature never intended! It isn't pretty, but a re-scripted biological imperative screams: Get the message across before it's too late! Stop wallowing in primordial soup! Transmit! Mutation! Drone! Transmit. Mutation. Drone.
Two: The new limbs have been difficult to integrate and the birth canal has proven far too delicate for this new form. Additionally, the maternal host has displayed an unexpected reaction to sudden interference in telepathic signals. We must insure survival. Transmission must be completed, despite increased risk to the carrier. Initiate somatic response. Anesthetize the host and commence processing the signal. Engage dream sequence 11-B. Ensure the host's comfort. Complete phase cancellation will remove outward stimuli. Soothing images may distract the patient from any aural discomfort. Neurosurgical team on standby. The engineers have been briefed. Wait… wait… We have contact! The signal has awakened! Hurry! Complete the circuit! Transmit! Mutation! Drone!" Scot Solida
|1||Transmit Mutation Drone One|
|2||Transmit Mutation Drone Two|
Art edition of 50 numbered and signed copies in a custom made gatefold CD case with bonus CD and two photo mounts. Part one features Ty Hodson on drums and bowed cymbals and Pascal Godjikian (La STPO) on vocals/lyrics.
It is hard to find another contemporary artist as prolific as Aidan Baker. Since the year 2000, and across a multitude of aliases, Aidan, often accompanied by a revolving cast of collaborators, has unveiled recording after recording at a rate of productivity which makes even a year in the life of Aidan Baker (or his most prominent alias Nadja) look like the entire discography of many other well documented artists. That in itself is quite a feat, but taking that into account along with the clear, stylistic sovereignty of each of his recordings makes Aidan Baker that rare combination of multitudinousness and creative reinvention, where regardless of what elements and instruments make up a recording, they simultaneously sound unlike anything else before, yet somehow clearly possess the artistic DNA of Aidan Baker. An aspect of this is his fondness of ethereal elements, which is a distinctive thread running through Souvenirs Of The Eternal Present. In this incarnation, and in juxtaposition to the “slow grow” of recordings more akin to the Nadja moniker, these atmospheric builds and layers are intertwined within a framework of pace quickening rhythms, akin to the end result of some parallel universe where Godspeed You Black Emperor and Bohren and Der Club of Gore are somehow commix. In terms of art, and its relationship to its complimenting artifact, each side of this cassette (which is made up of a total of 5 separate passages in total) is meant to be taken in as a side as a whole, as one would a diptych or triptych. Thus, as a cassette presentation, one side gives way to the other at exactly the rate the reels spool, and is meant to be taken as such, as opposed to a collection of tracks in of themselves. Thus, Anthem Records is please to present Souvenirs Of The Eternal Present in the form of a limited edition cassette tape with accompanying digital download.
|2||The Elevation Of The Beautiful|
Second of two new releases from this Portland black metal horde, the first, Kali, reviewed a few weeks back, was a glorious chunk of epic and majestic, nearly symphonic buzz, three looooong track separated by gorgeous little ambient drone interludes. We still have a few of those left, but in the meantime we just got release number two, and while structured differently, if anything, it's even more massive and grandiose, triumphant and fucking EPIC. As we mentioned in the review of the other disc, there does seem to be some questionable politics lurking below the surface. Nothing obvious, not in the song titles, the lyrics or the artwork, like most black metal it seems to be more concerned with nature and misery, war and death, but folks who are sensitive to the problematic politics that underscore a lot of black metal, might do well to read the other Eldrig review. But if you can look past that stuff, and as we mentioned it's not really that difficult here, as the band seem more concerned with crafting soaring blackened buzzscapes, and the cryptic lyrics (if you could make them out at all) are cries of war and wails of anguish. But the music, holy shit. The sound of Eldrig manages to be buzzing and grim and brutal, but at the same time, the riffing is totally majestic, almost chiming, the melodies soaring skyward, the drums a furious thrashing framework, the vocals a barely audible howl, all woven into what sounds like a black metal Explosions In The Sky or a Satanic Godspeed. Spiraling riffage that just builds and builds, the melodies so intense and emotional, everything peppered with swaths of swirling keyboards, but unlike the other Eldrig, here the riffs sound almost like classic eighties metal, little bursts of NWOBHM tangled into much blacker shapes. But the sound is somehow impossible poppy, like if you stripped all the snarling guitars and the demonic rasps, the blasting beats, you'd be left with some sort of simple catchy lullaby, or some perfect pop song, but here it's buzzed and blackened into some impossible black metal hybrid. So fast and furious and black, but so goddamn catchy and moody and melodic, culminating in the near power metal sounding outro to the final track "Death To The Unwilling", with classical sounding keyboard runs, chiming keyboards, and super poppy riffage, all whipped into a glorious frenzy, before it fades out with a strange skipping cd sound, and then returns with a programmed drum fill, only to explode into an even more over the top power/back metal frenzy with epic keyboards, those majestic riffs, all wrapped in wild squiggly leads, only to eventually fade out into some churning, mournful, abstract riffage. Super limited! We may have gotten all we can get of these, so when we run out, prepare to either be disappointed, or to wait a while for us to track down more.
A single piece statement from Joe Preston and Daniel Menche, and an epic tome carved from some form of primordial stone. As an album containing a regular CD audio side in addition to a DVD audio/video side, this release breathes life musically and visually on three different planes of existence. First, as a 25 minute audio recording, which is born of a vocal chant evocation from both Joe and Daniel, of which layers expand, contract, and weave within each other in an otherworldly, mysterious dronescape, in a way that feels like a moment of mystical/mythical creation akin to Gyorgy Ligeti’s introduction to the monolith, in the film 2001 (or Ash Williams' mispronunciation of the Necronomicon and it’s results, if you prefer); second (on side 2 of this CD/DVD dualdisc), as DVD audio, specifically mastered for this intent, which enables the absolute full range of the recordings high and lows to be acutely present, thus expanding an already head shrinking experience; and third, as the DVD audio with a full length video, culled from footage of the mysterious landscape of the Pacific Northwest, exibiting its terrain, vocanic activity and atmospheric disturbances, from obscure locations throughout the region, in addition of footage of Sam Hill's Stonehenge memorial located in Southeastern Washington State. These visuals, combined with the unusually forceful sublteties of the audio makes this an experience to behold a multitude of occasions, with different effect, depending on one's mindframe.
Companion DVD to the BlRR release "The White Waltz & Other Stories" 2xCD. A film by Linda McCarthy Joe Dembinski - Lighting, Jeremy Richard - Song Written & Performed by The Long Dead SevensTrailer